I signed up for Yoga Instructor Training to improve my yoga practice, and be able to teach both inner-city and grieving children who are not able to pay for training.
I'm not your run of the mill yogini-in-training. I am a retired 62 year-old woman who has fibromyalgia, has not practiced yoga regularly more than a few months, and has been under the care of a physician, chiropractor, and physical and massage therapists to be able to walk in an upright fashion for nearly three years.
But, after just three weeks of yoga classes in November, I noticed that some of my back pain had been aleviated. I could bend over, and still be able to stand.
My first instructor class was last Saturday, and I was very excited about yoga. My body was signing with gratitude at its new awakening. I think it was due to the slow, deliberate, extended session. What a luxury. My muscles were alive with activity. I was afraid that I would feel fatigue, but the opposite occurred. You see, the instructor classes are scheduled during nap time.
Now, I had written a check, accepted books and materials, and agreed to five hours practice each week, in other words, I'm in for the long haul! The classes will end in July. What will my body feel and look like after four and one half months - that's twenty-two weeks at five hours each. Just do the math, and see a lot of time.
Since I am a (new) Deacon in the Episcopal Church, I had a full Sunday (the next day) - two services, adult education, and a vestry meeting, after which I was exhausted. I wish I had asked about specific poses that would alleviate stress and assist with pain-free rest. My body did hurt. But, I took the easy way out and fell onto the couch in front of Food Network TV. Ahhh, Cupcake Wars.
Even though I had a long day on Sunday, my body and I were ready for yoga on Monday morning. With excitement, I climbed the three flights of steps to the studio, and attended a regular Hatha I class, my husband in tow.
The class seemed to be over in an instant, and my muscles felt longer and leaner, even though I am still about 10 pounds overweight. So, yoga helps with denial, too. Great!
My friend teaches a class on Monday afternoons, and I wanted to experience her class. I still had on my yoga duds, so, why not? That class, too, was over very quickly.
I paid more attention to my body within the different poses and noticed that standing poses were more difficult - I determined that my lower back was either more involved, or I was extending it more than it wanted. I "backed off", and compromised the pose for my comfort. I remembered my instructor saying that we ask of our bodies what they can give, and suggest a little more, but never demand.
Tuesday morning I attended a class that I have been taking since November - ViniYoga. Its focus is a little different than Hatha, but I find the breath work a good way to get into poses. My back discomfort didn't rear its ugly head, my chest felt further expanded, and I felt lighter. The focus of the class was on lateral movement. It's pretty difficult to stretch to the left, but I didn't have back pain.
Wednesday morning's class was much like Tuesday's, lateral stretch. I noticed the poses that I really liked, and felt trepidation towards the more difficult ones which lay on the horizon. What do you know - those were a little easier. I was tired, and rested Wednesday afternoon.
Thursday morning my body was not excited about yoga class, and was dragging its feet a little on the way out the door. The class, also ViniYoga, was invigorating. I sailed through most poses, but realized my body didn't understand a seated forward bend. I tried to practice my way through it, but I guess its best to be patient and keep practicing.
When I say that I sailed through most poses, I wouldn't want anyone to expect a body that moves fluidly, fingers that touch the floor, or a back that gladly meets its counter-part knees. These things just don't happen. They probably will at some point. And, according to my instructors, like everything in life, you move into it with love, don't get frustrated, and practice.
I think that is my lesson from the week - move into it, and be grateful for the opportunity to do what I can do.
All good...progress not perfection :)
ReplyDelete